Friday, October 11, 2019

28th Sunday Year C (Luke 17:11-19) Give thanks




I often find it amusing when it is lashing rain and someone says to me, ‘Isn’t it an awful day?’ And I say, ‘Yes, it is, thank God’. I usually get a weird look that says, ‘What do you mean, ‘thank God’?’ But why should we not thank God just because it is raining? The rain may not always suit us, the sun may not always suit others, but that’s no reason not to give thanks to God for it. It is a gift from him, like many other things, even if it doesn’t suit us.

We tend to see our world, or universe, as being the center of things, often with God as an optional extra as it were; someone on the outside. However, it is in fact the other way around. God is at the center of things and we are the optional extra. We were created by God and we need not be here. You might think that that makes us pretty small and insignificant. It does. We are. We like to think of ourselves as extremely important, especially the higher up we get in the world, but the fact is, we are all the exact same, with the same need for God. Once we begin to recognize this, it actually makes life a lot easier, because it takes a lot of pressure off us. The world doesn’t depend on us alone to save it. The future of the human race isn’t being sustained by me alone. The people of Fort Myers are not depending on me as a priest, to say the right thing, to make sure they all get to heaven and I’m very glad about that! 


The governments today often talk about their decisions as though they themselves were God, as though the future of the human race was solely in their hands. Fortunately for us all, it is not. We are important of course and we certainly have a big responsibility to do the right thing in the world and to make sure that there is a good future for those who come after us, but the Lord God of heaven and earth is also there helping us. We have a lot to be thankful for. 

At the moment we seem to be hearing almost nothing but bad news, how awful everything is and how little hope there is. It is very hard not to be affected by it, when we are getting this from the news on an hourly basis. By their nature, news programs tend to focus on bad and dramatic news, but I think it is important for us not to let that be the main influence on the way we think, or we will begin to see the world as a very dark place. Yes, we are in distressing times and there are plenty of problems, but the fact is that most of us are surviving. I would imagine that everyone here has enough to eat, has a roof over their heads at night. We probably have a car to get around in and we probably are able to provide for our children, even if it is not as lavish as we would like. The truth is we have an awful lot to be grateful for.


When I find myself becoming negative and wishing things were better—and believe me I complain just as much as anyone! —I find it a great help to start giving thanks to God for as many things as possible. In the morning I say, ‘Thank you Lord for a good night’s rest; thank you for a hot shower and a breakfast to eat. Thank you that I have decent clothes to wear and enough money in my pocket to survive. Thank you for the friends I have and also for the people I don’t like.’ I also try not to listen to too many news programs during the day as they tend to get me down. Remember that all of the things we listen to during the day, affect how we think and how we see the world.

All through the Scriptures, there are many examples of the people praising God in all kinds of situations. All the prophets and holy people continually bless and thank God for everything. They have a great sense of the holiness of God and of what is sacred and they continually acknowledge that.

When God reveals the answer that the king is looking for to Daniel, his first reaction is to praise God:
May the name of God be blessed for ever and ever,
since wisdom and power are his alone...
To you, God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise
for having given me wisdom and strength (Dan 2:20, 23).

Three men who serve king Nebuchadnezzar refuse to worship his statue as God.  As a result they are thrown into a fire.  But they remain faithful to God.  Azariah begins singing in the furnace:
May you be blessed and revered, Lord, God of our ancestors,
may your name be held glorious for ever. (Dan 3:26)

Then the other men begin to sing as well:
May you be blessed, Lord, God of our ancestors,
be praised and extolled for ever.
Blessed by your glorious and holy name... (Dan 3:52)

The message to us is to praise God no matter what and not just for what suits us, which is what we are inclined to do.  Take the rain...

When Tobit goes blind he prays to God to restore his sight to him.  But see how he begins the prayer:
You are just, O Lord, and just are all your works.
All your ways are grace and truth,
and you are the Judge of the world.
Therefore Lord, remember me... (Tobit 3:2-3)

Sarah cries out to God in her distress
You are blessed, O God of mercy!
May your name be blessed for ever,
and may all things you have made
bless you everlastingly.
And now I turn my face
and I raise my eyes to you...  (Tobit 3:11-12)

Our Lady's reaction to Elizabeth's greeting:
My soul glorifies the Lord, my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.

Jesus
I bless you Father, Lord of heaven and earth, for hiding these things from the learned and the clever and revealing them to mere children.

The Scriptures teach us to continually bless and praise God for everything, no matter what, while also asking God for what we need.


Think for a moment about the teachings of Jesus during his life on earth. They are very positive, very encouraging and very compassionate. Even when he spoke about the end of the world and the disciples said, ‘When will this happen?’ He basically said, ‘Don’t worry about that. It is not your concern.’ To sum up his teaching: we are asked to love and serve while we are here on earth. Then when our time is complete, the Lord will bring us home to be with him. That makes it very simple. We do our best and try to stay focused on the one who gives us life and gives us everything we have.

We have a lot to be grateful for. So maybe the next time you want to ask God’s help for something in prayer, take a moment first to thank God for the many things He has given you and then ask for your needs. And maybe even thank God for the rain the next time it’s lashing and you’re about to get soaked!

‘In the world you will have trouble. But do not be afraid, I have overcome the world.’

 



No comments:

Post a Comment